I consider myself a Lightworker and am seen as such by many. What does that really mean? It means that since I can remember, I have had a strong intuitive and emotional pulling towards being of service and helping people. It means that my purpose in life is to literally bring love and light into this world and fill voids or move out darkness. This has led me to my journey of formal training to be a counselor and an energy healer. However, the reality is that I have been blasting my Carebear love badge since I was a little girl. It is my being, not my training, that offers the healing.
I am writing this article because I cannot tell you how many Lightworkers cross my path and are completely unaware of what they really are. Most come from difficult and painful backgrounds, have a sense of being different, but actually believe those differences to be negative. The reality is opposite but their sensitivity has been pathologized in this life and their experiences have created a narrative in their head that there is something wrong with them.
Here are some tendencies or signs that you are a Lightworker:
- You have a painful or traumatic past. The irony is these experiences are often meant to awaken your gifts not hurt you. However, both can sometimes transpire.
- You have a sense of purpose to be of service to others. This can include healing arts, teaching, working with people or animals, and/or a profound desire to protect nature.
- You feel different from others. Things emotionally impact you more or differently. You see the patterns of life and many you do not understand as they seem to cause more harm than good.
- You are a natural artist or are drawn to the arts. Many Lightworkers I know create art or are strongly moved by the arts (music, writing, painting, dance, etc).
- You find yourself committed and excited about personal growth and development and seek out many different modalities of healing to aid that process.
- You are highly intuitive, likely possess many gifts, and surprise yourself and others with how well you can read others.
- You seem to attract animals, children, and people. This can overwhelm or delight at times. Others feel this energy and are drawn to you. You may often hear “I am not sure why I am telling you this….”
- You noticed that when you put your mind to something, it seems to materialize. This is called Law of Attraction and you are naturally strong in it.
- You feel drawn to the unexplainable: This may include spiritual readings, ancient civilizations, paranormal, aliens, etc.
- You are strongly driven by that internal sense and guiding system. You may seem reckless or impulsive in decision making to others and feel frustrated by others and their criticism of the choices you know are right for you.
If any of this resonates with you, I encourage you to investigate more. In my experience, so many Lightworkers struggle with this internalized negative sense of self. Many have trauma they carry and benefit from healing to help release that hurt and allow for greater expansion of self and their work. The truth is that the more you heal, the greater your light shines and the more your intuition grows.
Lightworkers often expend all their energy helping others and come to my office drained and depleted. It is important to find a balance with self-care and helping. It is not your mission to rescue everyone and to sacrifice your well-being in the process. Lightworkers often own the struggle of others and the responsibility to shift others into another state of being. Some of my focus work has been helping other Lightworkers find a balance in life that supports their mission but invites peace, love and joy into their own worlds.